EA has opened the floodgates on the first trailer for their brand spanking new Battlefield 4 game to come out sometime in fall. Watch all 17 minutes of it below. And then read what I thunk of it.
Here’s what I thought, in no particular order:
- Wow, people’s faces look so goooood.
- There are no fishing sequences in the trailer, so why is it called Fishing in Baku?
- Why do we hear music in our ears when we wake for the first (but definitely not the last) time in the trailer?
- FrostBite Engine 3 is sickeningly pretty. Look at the light blooms. Look at the puddles. THE PUDDLES.
- I do enjoy the trailer opening sequence, with the exchange between the squad but it IS more machismo again *sigh*
- ON-RAILSSSSS, OOOOOON-RAILS SHOOTTERRRRRR – this was the biggest thing that pissed me off, it’s more of – “Hey, let’s go here, shoot these things there, and then move on here”
- There appears to be squad-ordering-about bits, but that’s like minimal. Just like, “hey shoot this thing” so I can go off and flank ’em. It’s like Brothers-in-Arms lite, damn, I miss that infinitely more intellectual shooter.
- Shit gets shot up good in this trailer, and looks stunning while at it
- What’s up with the little icons on the top right that tells you about your achievements and points?
- I find it funny that a single-player on-rails campaign has a minimap
- Can we get a choice whether to cut his leg off or leave him with his leg trapped under the rock? Why can I only just press the button? Even Bioshock gives us that choice.
- Will your squad members die in single-player if you don’t take care of ’em? Or are they bullet sponges?
- More running while getting shot at bits, including the mega helicopter fight out
- How come I hear people talking over the phone in my ear while underwater? WHY?!?!
- At this point, the whole shaky cam thing with the BRAAAAAAAMM sound effects is really annoying. Especially when they continually repeat that for the Battlefield 4 title. Ugh.
Alright, so my final verdict is “Meh, this is all the other shooters, dressed in pretty graphics. Well done, EA.” Now show us multiplayer (which they should’ve shown us first).