Space Oddity by David Bowie, covered by Chris Hadfield
This video is truly dear to my heart. I love David Bowie, I love Space Oddity by David Bowie, but even more than those two things, I love Chris Hadfield, astronaut and Commander of the International Space Station, for his cover of David Bowie’s Space Oddity. Performed and recorded from believe it or not, outer space.
No green screen or CGI, everything you see is real footage taken from inside and out of the ISS. It’s beautiful, and truly a testament to how far we’ve come, not just in space travel, but also the power of the Internet and social media. It also helps that Hadfield is a damn good singer in his own right.
Between Two Ferns/Spring Break Anthem by Zach Galifianakis/The Lonely Island
I love Between Two Ferns. I think it’s Zach’s most inspired comedy sketch concept.
I love The Lonely Island. I think for “pseudo-rappers”, they are actually damn talented, and their videos are always just the most funniest sh*t.
Who would’ve thought they’d do a mash up such as this. But I think this is probably one of the smartest comedy music videos in the entire universe. So watch it, and then read my list why.
Good. So why do I think this is one of the most amazing videos ever:
1. James Franco is a star on Spring Breakers which is being parodied in the music video, but not actually mentioned in the interview at all.
2. Between Two Ferns is about the sometimes-moronic nature of interviewers who don’t know shit about the people they are interviewing, and the sometimes inane questions they ask of their interviewees – clearly James Franco has had more than a fair share of these
3. A lot of talk shows have a music segment, and frankly, it sometimes strikes me as awkward or downright weird how they go “Okay, that’s nice to hear, now let’s stop talking and go listen to a bunch of people who have been standing around over there waiting to perform.”
4. “Name one?” “Ed Norton” “Oh, why don’t you marry him?” – and then amazing how The Lonely Island always gets the best celebrity cameos.
5. Spring Break Anthem by The Lonely Island is actually a damn good song. Especially when they sing-
6. “- and marry a man!” Thereby turning this song on its head for all the people who you’d think it was originally intended for, like broskis, and frat boys, and jocks, and the lot. This is called cognitive dissonance: overt masculinity “banging chicks” vs subverted homosexuality “gay weddings”. It’s also a song about “bros”, and how homo sometimes bros can get.
7. Spring Breakers (if you haven’t watched it, you should) is a movie about cognitive dissonance, so this music video is about cognitive dissonance.
8. The Lonely Island continues their trend of rapping about shit people should actually be thinking about, wrapped up in seemingly “dumb” songs.
As James Franco ends the interview by saying, “That was awesome.” Yes it was.